It's been 6 weeks since I've had any junk food or refined sugar. For those of you who know me well, you are probably wondering what kind of fad diet I'm about to share with you. But this is no diet. This isn't about losing weight or looking good. This is about my search for optimum health, physically and spiritually.
Joel and I have both been eating all organic, mostly raw, and somewhat vegetarian for 6 weeks now. As I am writing this, I am asking myself how on earth I can put into words the changes that have followed this calling to eat healthy. I guess I'll start with why. Why do we feel called to eat healthy? It all started with a documentary called "Food Matters".
"Let Thy Food Be Thy Medicine, And Thy Medicine Be Thy Food." - Hippocrates
That is the essence of this documentary. 'Food Matters' is a hard hitting look at our current state of health. Despite the billions of dollars pumped into the medical world on their so-called 'cures', we continue to suffer from a smorgasbord of chronic illness and diseases. Patching up an over-toxic and over-indulgent population with a host of toxic therapies and nutrient-deficient foods is definitely not the answer to this growing problem. So what is the answer? How can we find optimum health? The kind of health I believe God wants us to have? It lies in what we put in our mouths!
"You are what you eat."
How many times have we heard this little tune? We laugh it off with all the other things our mom's used to recite. But what if there's something to it? What if it's true that what you put in is what comes out? What if we really ARE the author of our own health? What if what we are eating is killing us? What if our bodies were never meant to encounter all of the chemicals and preservatives we find in our everyday foods and beauty products?
I believe there is an answer to these questions. I believe our health lies in what we eat. I believe that 85% of America's population doesn't have to die from some form of cancer. I believe God created a perfect mechanism when he created the human body. I believe He created it with the ability to heal itself- but only if we give it the chance.
This blog is about my and Joel's journey down the road to health. I will share our challenges, questions, conquests, and all of the things between. I hope and pray that this blog can be a place of encouragement for those of us who have struggles with our weight, our health and our self-image. God has something better for us! We need only to search it out!
More to come...
"And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food."
Genesis 1:29
"He gives power to those who are tired and worn out; he offers strength to the weak. Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will fall give up. But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.' Isaiah 40:29-31
I am so supportive of you doing this! Quick question: How do you tame the sugar craving? What do you eat to take care of the need for sweet stuff that I have always had?
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Early in my mommy days I read a book entitled "Greater Health God's Way" by Stormie O'Martian. I have lived (mostly) on the principles in her book. Summary of eating: "As close to the way God made it as possible".
ReplyDeleteThe message is timeless even though the book is old, I recommend it. It talks not only of food, but water, sunshine, rest, peace w/ God, etc.
Blessings on your journey! :)
Kasha,
ReplyDeleteOrganic raw unprocessed honey has been my lifesaver! I LOVE to bake, so giving up sugar was really scary because, not only did I crave it, but one of my favorite hobbies involved A LOT of it!! I've discovered that I can substitute a bit of honey for sugar in any recipe, so I've been making banana bread, carrot cake muffins, pear spice bread, and even homemade banana walnut ice cream! I use all organic ingredients and whole wheat flour! So every time I have a craving for sweets I eat some of my homemade treats! I also keep plain yogurt and fresh fruit in the house at all times- so when a craving comes and I don't have any baked goods, I can mix the yogurt, honey, and fruit in a blender with ice! I'm telling you it's a pure miracle that I gave up sour patch kids, but it's amazing how many healthy things there are to replace those things too!
Kathy, thank you for the suggested reading! I am looking for lots of books on the subject and I will keep my eyes open for this one! It has obviously made a difference in your life as you are still just as fit and beautiful as the first time I met you!
Way to go Erynne! I have often thought about feeding my kids organic foods, just because there health has not been so great since birth! I love to bake as well, but have often wondered what things I can use to sub in for sugar!
ReplyDelete