So why am I writing a mission statement for myself? Well, it all started with a movie, a comedy called 'Easy A'. I loved it - hilarious!! But there was one aspect that I wasn't laughing at -- the Christians. The Christians in the film were vicious, deranged, and persecutive. And of course to tie it all together, near the end of the movie the writers deliver a strong dose of HYPOCRITE to the Christian's character.
It's been weeks since I watched the film, but I can't seem to get it out of my head. Now it seems that everything I watch has an overly-righteous, off-their-rocker, hateful, condescending character representing the 'Christian'. (ie: 'White Oleander', 'Saved!', 'Footloose', 'Save Me'... just to name a few). The theme in these movies, and almost all of mainstream media, is undeniable- CHRISTIANS ARE CRAZY.
I am a Christian.
So what do I think about this negative portrayal of Christianity? Am I going to boycott? Protest? Write a strongly-worded letter to Warner Brothers? No. Sadly, the only thing I can do is agree. I mean, these people didn't just pull this perception out of nowhere. They didn't just wake up one day and decide that Christians are this way. Perception is reality. Someone GAVE them this perception, and that someone is Christians...that someone is me.
So what can I do about it? Change. Change the perception of anyone whose path crosses mine. Change the way I live and how I interact with others. Love. Love anyone whose path crosses mine. Love the way Christ loved. That's it. That's all Christianity is supposed to be about. One word. LOVE.
Matthew 22: 36
"And he said to Jesus, 'Teacher, what is the most important of all the commandments?' Jesus answered:
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. This is the first and most important commandment. [BUT] There is a second which is equally important, and it is, 'Love your neighbor as yourself'."
"All you need is love." --John Lennon
That's it. LOVE.
My Mission Statement: It is my mission to love people, above all else. I will be Non-judgmental- I am human, you are human. I am no better, no different than you. I will be Non-political- politics do not define me or my beliefs. Non-hypocritical- my actions, not my words, will demonstrate my love for humanity. I will be Loving and Accepting. I will, wholeheartedly, love and accept anyone whose path crosses mine. When I know you, I will listen, learn, love and accept you. I hope that when people know me, they will not dismiss me as just another 'crazy christian'. I hope that I can break the mold and show people that Christianity is about one thing: LOVE.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9
Well said Erynne.... Well said....
ReplyDelete